What is Recreation Therapy?
The purpose of recreation therapy is to provide treatment and recreation services to children with complex medical conditions or disabilities. The primary purpose of recreation therapy is to restore, remediate or rehabilitate in order to improve functioning and independence. Recreation therapists are dedicated to helping each child function as independently as possible in recreation activities.
What do we do at The HSC Pediatric Center
- Serve as an integral part of the trans-disciplinary treatment team.
- Provision of assessments to collect systematic, comprehensive and accurate data necessary to determine a course of action and individualized treatment plan.
- Treatment plans and goals are determined with the input of the patient (as they are able) and their family. Therapeutic goals may include:
- Teaching recreational skills and ways of modifying activities
- Reinforcing and teaching social skills including how to appropriately interact with others
- Improving developmentally appropriate play skills
- Improving self-esteem and gaining confidence in abilities
- Improving leisure education and awareness
- Returning the patient to the community through community outings
- Educating patients and caregivers on healthy lifestyles and community resources
- Making referrals to community recreation therapy programs
- Specialized treatment offered include:
- Adaptive Sports
- Art Therapy
- Community and Home Skills Groups
- Community Reintegration
- Developmentally Appropriate Peer Groups
- Horticulture Therapy
- Individual Treatment Sessions
- Pet Therapy
For more information, call (202) 635-4489.
Kids in Action
Kids in Action is an adaptive sports program for children with disabilities and their siblings. Designed for outpatients and former patients at The HSC Pediatric Center, along with other children in the Washington metropolitan area, the program includes team sports, social events and health classes. All abilities are welcomed, as necessary adaptations are made so everyone can participate.
Click here to learn more, and for more details about upcoming events, like the Kids in Action Facebook page.
All recreation therapists employed by The HSC Pediatric Center have earned Bachelor of Science degrees in therapeutic recreation from accredited colleges or universities. Each recreation therapist has passed the National Council for Therapeutic Recreation Certification and is registered with the District of Columbia Department of Health.
American Therapeutic Recreation Association (ATRA)
National Council for Therapeutic Recreation Certification (NCTRC)