For Healthcare Professionals
To make a referral to The HSC Pediatric Center, contact our Admissions Department at
The HSC Pediatric Center offers unique resources and benefits for the patient and family, as well as for health care professionals. If you are looking to provide a transitional level of care at a place with low infection rates and stellar rehabilitation outcomes, then The HSC Pediatric Center is your ideal setting. A facility for comprehensive rehabilitative care, we bridge the gap between acute care and home. The HSC Pediatric Center’s expertise is with highly specialized admissions for children and young adults with complex health care needs who need continued care before returning home.
- Case Managers
- Child Life Specialists
- Nurse Practitioners
- Occupational Therapists
- Physical Therapists
- Recreation Therapists
- Registered Nurses
- Rehabilitation Specialists
- Respiratory Therapists
- Social Workers
- Speech/Language Therapists
- Comprehensive inpatient rehabilitation program accredited by The Joint Commission
- Family-centered care with a multidisciplinary team approach
- Pediatric attending staff and therapists ensure continuity of care 24 hours a day, seven days a week
- Skilled respiratory care team that provides diagnostic testing, therapeutic monitoring, rehabilitation and family education
- Experienced assistive technology team to evaluate and maximize the use of technology to match children with the best mobility for their needs
- Orthotic, prosthetic and equipment team that offers individualized support and services to encourage independence
- Fully equipped on-site family apartments for caregiver education in a supportive, home-like environment
- Around-the-clock laboratory and radiology services
- On-site aquatic therapy
Who is eligible for admission? Children and young adults from birth to 21 years of age with medical conditions that can include intellectual and developmental disabilities. Most children admitted have multiple diagnoses and our programs are organized to provide for the needs of patients with burns, cerebral palsy, congenital disabilities, feeding disorders, HIV infection, reactive airway disease, gastrointestinal disorders, sickle cell anemia and other traumatic injuries and complex disabilities.
Referral sources include, but are not limited to:
- Children’s National Health System
- Holy Cross Hospital
- Inova Fairfax Hospital
- MedStar Georgetown University Hospital
- MedStar Washington Hospital Center
- The Johns Hopkins Hospital
To learn more about our medical and rehabilitation staff, please refer to the Medical Staff page.
The HSC Pediatric Center is located in a quiet residential neighborhood in northeast Washington, DC. It is convenient to the Brookland (red line) and Fort Totten (red, green and yellow lines) metro stations, and is on Metrobus routes, with a stop just across the street from the entrance. The HSC Pediatric Center also provides shuttle service during most daytime hours to and from the Brookland and Fort Totten stations. For directions and the shuttle schedule, click here.